Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Sparrow answers your questions: House music.

Mary Jane writes:
You should add a post for music recommendations -- you know, which veggies respond to indie music, the blues, bluegrass. My instincts say that the eggplant will respond to Zeppelin.
I wish we could play more Led Zeppelin. I do love me some classic rock, but there's no better way to provoke intern rebellion than by cranking up Houses of the Holy. Alas.

In fact, when the greenhouses are vacant, we do play music to the plants -- mainly Blue Lake Public Radio. When we're in there, though, all bets are off.

Of late, Michael has been on a Daisy May bender. He gets that way sometimes. Last year, he played Carla Bruni until all of us could speak French. But I shouldn't talk. A couple of days ago, John cried out in dismay, "Not Steve Earle again!" Other artists with a lot of airtime so far this spring are Sigur Ros and Neko Case. When we tire of music, we listen to NPR podcasts. Aaron is a big Radiolab fan. I like Krista Tippet's Speaking of Faith.

Each season, one album gets under our skins. Two years ago, it was Regina Spektor's Begin to Hope. Radiohead's In Rainbows was last year's soundtrack, and now "House of Cards" is forever connected in my head with the memory of those awful marathon Friday nights, the moon rising and night settling over the fields and us with still more vegetable washing to do.

Got questions? I've got answers. Oh. My. Yes. E-mail me at sparrowinthehall(at)gmail.com, and I just might answer them.